Monday, April 21, 2014

Sweets From The Swiss

I've decided that life is a teeny tiny bit sweeter in Switzerland.

Why?

It's the chocolate, of course.  And a little more than that.

We spent Spring Break and Easter in Zurich with my brother-in-law Mark.  After nearly 35 years of teaching at the private school where he was once a student, Mark retires in June.  Congratulations!  We spent part of the trip walking down memory lane, since Zurich was one of the stops in the ex-pat life of my husband's family.

Zurich

After a post in Italy, my Father-in-law was assigned to Zurich.  Over the years, my in-laws (Vern and Mary Lou) would speak with great fondness about their time in Italy and Switzerland.  We stopped by Vern's mid-mod office building and the family home, which was at the top of Mary Lou's favorites.


Mid-Mod in Zurich


A Proud Son Remembering Dad's Office

Family Home

Johnson Boys in da Hood
 After the family tour, I gained 3.8 lbs. in the chocolate shops.  Mark literally lives across the railroad tracks and up the hill from the Lindt & Sprüngli Chocolate Factory.  Established in Zurich in 1845, this chocolate and confectionary company has 6 factories across Europe and the USA and also owns Ghiradelli.  Mark says he has never visited (um, REALLY?!), so I felt compelled to make up for lost time.  Of course, there was both an Outlet Store and Easter Market at the Factory.  I followed the path of large gold bunnies and found a slice of chocolate heaven behind an unassuming blue door.  



















 I also found my favorite section of the Outlet, reject bags filled with assorted flavors.  Note the shelf tag stating "Slight deviations from original recipes/quality"  Hell, even if they bounced off the floor, I'll take the discount.

At Läderach Chocolatier Suisse, I went from discount to diva at their Bahnhofstrasse store.  Zurich's Bahnhofstrasse is home to the world's most exclusive shopping district.  Amen.  I managed to snap a pic of the store where Oprah was declined an opportunity to handle a 35,000 Swiss franc crocodile handbag.  Everyone is sorry now.

I Don't Think Photos are Welcome
The lines at Läderach were almost out the door.  This company started in 1926 and has a variety of chocolate products, but the main attraction is the FrischSchoggi or slabs of assorted chocolate bark.  The praline counter was devoid of customers in comparison.  Frankly, to hell with pralines, I am now addicted to this particular form of "chocolate bliss".








 As if we need another reason to return to Zurich, Mark invited us back for the outdoor flea market that runs from May through October.  I've got a few pounds to lose first.  Ah, the sweet life. 


















No comments:

Post a Comment